Theta Phi, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, was installed on February 10, 1991. Our chapter recently celebrated our 25th Anniversary with sisters that traveled from across the country. During our chapter's installation, we received a tremendous amount of support and encouragement from the Beta Tau chapter of University of Florida. This is why many of our sisters and have a loving appreciation of the gator. Since that time, Theta Phi, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has proven to be an exemplary group of women who strive for success in service, leadership, and campus involvement. The women of Theta Phi, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, is a prominent chapter in the Panhellenic community and has been consistently recognized for their strong sisterhood, scholarship, leadership, campus involvement, and community service.
In 2006, the Theta Phi, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, relocated into a Historic Fort Wood District, becoming the very first sorority in Tennessee to have a residential sorority home. As our chapter continued to flourish, it became apparent that it was time to begin the process of building a home that would better meet the needs of our growing membership. We could not be more thrilled to announce that we have recently relocated to our third and final home this year! Our new home houses 18 sisters and provides and is our perfect home away from home. Our new space allows our sisters to share meaningful experiences together and supports the continuous growth of the sisterhood we cherish as members of Sigma Kappa.
Theta Phi continues to exceed the standards of our national organization. We are honored to have received the Founders Award two years in a row- as the top performing Sigma Kappa Chapter in the nation! This award is presented to the collegiate chapter who has not only achieved a 3-star standards of excellence rating, but also has been recognized through other Sigma Kappa awards, and, in a fitting tribute to our five founders, has duly honored our Sigma Kappa ritual.
In 2019, Theta Phi, was one of six chapters awarded 3 Stars for Standards of Excellence, recognizing our accomplishments for the 2018 year. This is Sigma Kappa's most prestigious collegiate award and is presented to those chapters who meet all of the Sigma Kappa minimum standards and above. These standards include high performance in areas such as: membership, financial management, philanthropy, scholarship, public relations, ritual, recruitment, leadership, new member education, alumnae relations, and campus involvement.
Theta Phi recently was awarded the Lillian Peterson Budd Award at Sigma Kappa's National Convention in 2018. The Sigma Kappa Foundation honors the collegiate chapter with the most outstanding gerontology program and for their participation in both national and local gerontology activities with the elderly.
In 2017, Theta Phi received the Louise Helen Coburn Award for our outstanding programming and relations with area alumnae and We are truly grateful for the talented women that make up our chapter and the alumnae volunteers and advisors that support our endeavors to accomplish such great things in the Chattanooga community and beyond.
2018 National Three Star Award Announcement
2016 National Three Star Award Announcement
Recent National Awards
2020 Excellence in Recruitment Award- Exemplifying excellence in all aspects of recruitment.
2020 Excellence in Leadership- Exemplifying excellence in all aspects of leadership.
- 2020 Recognition for our Contribution to the Sigma Kappa Foundation.
- Standards of Excellence Award- This is the highest achievement for SK collegiate chapters. In 2018, we were one of only 2 chapters in the nation to receive a 3 STAR Standards of Excellence award. This achievement is a testament to how our chapter lives our values of friendship, service, personal growth, and loyalty.
- Sigma Kappa Founders Award- Sigma Kappa Chapter of the Year in 2014 and 2015. Each year our national organization chooses one Sigma Kappa Chapter across the nation that exceeded our standards and excelled in every aspect of sorority life from recruitment, public relations, campus involvement, service, and programming.
- Gold Circle Foundation Award- for donating over $10,000 in support of our national philanthropies.
- 1874 Grant Recipient- Received a grant from the Sigma Kappa Foundation in which we partnered with UTC’s Nursing Department and other community organizations to host a Health Fair for underprivileged children in the Chattanooga area to educate them about mental, physical, and emotional health.
- Ruth Rysdon Miller Panhellenic Award-Honorable Mention- For our service to the Panhellenic Community
- Frances Warren "Speed" Baker Award-Honorable Mention-For our contributions to our national magazine the Sigma Kappa Triangle
Recent Individual Membership Awards/Honors/Highlights:
- Many of our members have received scholarships through the Sigma Kappa Foundation. Recent recipients include Chandler Gentry, Anna Martino, Jessica Bastianelli, Tarason Moore
- Jessica Bastianelli was selected to represent UTC on Homecoming Court. Tina Nguyen was a past Homecoming Queen at UTC.
- Courtney Keller & Ellie Coleman received the Proverbs 31 Scholarship.This is given to a Theta Phi each year by a husband in memory of his wife that was a proud member of Sigma Kappa.
- Elena Reineri and Varsha Kommireddi serve as an UTC Orientation Leader.
- Chapter Awards- Most Outstanding Executive Council Member- Sadie Arbuthnot; Academic Excellence Award-Emily Massengill; Pearl New Member Award- Katie Martin.; Ashley Ann Williams Award-Lauren Fox; Sisterhood Award-Emma Darnel; Shelby Ann Glisson Award- Jocelyn Humphries.; Most Outstanding Member- Ellie Davis; Kymn Sherman Award- Brooke Cranfield; Karen Hampton Excellence in Leadership Award- Anna Martino
Recent Community & Campus Honors:
- 2020 Greek Show 1st Place- Sorority Division
- 2015 Homecoming- Overall Champions- Sorority Division
- 2016 UTC’s Student Government Awards: Most Outstanding Community Service and Most Outstanding Contribution to Campus Life
- 2016 Homecoming- Overall Champions- Sorority Division- 1st Place Banner, Field Games, 3rd Place in Step Show “American Horror Story”. Spirit Award.
- 2016 Greek Show Spirit Winners and Raised $ in memory of our sister, Shelby Glisson’s scholarship
- 2017 & 2018 Walk to End Alzheimer's Top Fundraiser
- 2018 Greek Show- Sorority Division 1st Place "Willie Wonka"
Scholarship: Theta Phi, is proud of our academic achievers. In the Spring of 2018, our overall chapter GPA exceeded the UTC Female Average. Collectively we hold a chapter GPA of 3.05
Community Service: In the 2018 /2019 academic year, Theta Phi, recorded nearly 9.000 community service hours, averaging 80 service hours per member! Sigma Kappa is proud to be the top contributing Greek organization in regards to community service and truly living this value. Our chapter also donated nearly $28,000 to local and national philanthropies.
Theta Phi Chapter
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Recipient of the 2014 and 2015 Founders Award
Watch the announcement below from Sigma Kappa National Officers!